Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Meme

I am really stressed out right now -- between Hassan getting ready to leave and many events taking place at school I am an emtional mess. So I found this list on Layla's blog and thought it would be fun to do for a change.

Ma'salaam,

~Marian


20 years ago, I:

1- was 23 years old.
2- had a two brothers who were 25 & 26 years old and two sisters who were 19 & 17 at the time. (ok so I'm the middle child)
3- wanted to fun and was very selfish and judgmental.

10 years ago, I:

1- was 33, married to my habibi and in my dream job not knowing life was about to change forever.
2- watched my mother quickly decline after a battle with cancer and spent just about all my free time with her.
3- bought our first house.

5 years ago, I:

1- was 38, married and in our dream house with unfortunately the nightmare yardwork that came along with it.
2- thought I was happy where I was but felt there was still something missing -- something more.
3- knew that life for us would never be the same after 9/11.

3 years ago, I:

1- was 41 and working part-time in a job I really didn't like very much.
2- realized that materialism isn't everything.
3- knew life would change and we would be moving on, which was not easy for me to come to grips with.

1 year ago, I:

1- was getting to move to our new flat.
2- was 42 and saw Mira change from a little girl into a young lady who is into rainbows, mermaids and unicorns.
3- was beginning to realize that I have to make the best of my life here in Cairo.

So far this year, I:

1- bought a really great sewing machine.
2- started wearing hijab.
3- lost an additional 10 kilos to bring the total to 30 kilos (approx. 60 pounds).

Yesterday I:

1- woke up at 5:00 a.m. getting ready for the school day.
2- told Hassan that I love him.
3- tickled Mira.

Today I:

1- got up at 3:30 a.m. (slept too early last night)
2- made a pot of coffee which I will consume before I leave for school at 7 a.m.
3- sat outside on my balcony and listed to the Adhan for Fajr prayer in the dark looking at the stars (my favorite time of day).

Tomorrow, I will:

1- go out with friends.
2- update Hassan's lists before he leaves.
3- remember to be grateful for everything I have been given.

In the next year, I will Insha'Allah:

1- continue to lose weight.
2- have three quilts finished.
3- see my family in the U.S.

No comments: