Monday, August 27, 2007

How much stress can you handle?

Last Tuesday I went to school - it's orientation time. Mira has been going with me. Tuesday we came home from school and I was starving.

During the summer it's too hot to eat anything heavy so most people just eat one meal a day and drink large amounts of water. It is a habit I fell into naturally -- fruits, cheese, bread, and water. Sometimes fuul. That's it for one day.

Tuesday I came home starving. So I ordered a grilled chicken - ferakh meshwayya from El Haty, a well known grill restaurant in Cairo. I love their chicken - especially when Hassan's here and we eat it together. I was eating the bread with tahina and I heard a crack in my mouth. Well, it finally happened - I broke another tooth.

This tooth was next to the one I broke some time ago. No more playing around -- it was time to go to the dentist.

I was so worried about school - I went on Wednesday, which was a field trip to the Pyramids and Sphinx in 100+ degrees. Mira and Jasmine came along and had a great time. Actually I went for them because they really wanted to go.

There I am, hot as hell, walking up the hill, with a broken, throbbing tooth, in 100+ heat, dehydrated, dreading the afternoon trip to the dentist.

I have bad experiences with dentists - you know, childhood memories of novacaine and the drill hitting the nerve from a cavity.

I had no choice anymore. This had to be taken care of. I went to the dentist and he pulled the tooth saying "You can come tomorrow (Thursday) morning or September 2 to get your teeth fixed." I thought about it for approximately 1/2 a second and answered "Tomorrow." I know me - if I wait I will never go back.

So I went to the dentist the next day and he started the procedure for two implants. Well, it would have taken only 15 minutes but there was a problem with the bone. At one point he even got out a little hammer to pound at the bone in my mouth - the worst part of it was that he kept showing me the progress. Ugh. I can go without the details.

Alhamdulillah I have 4 stitches, two temporary crowns and virtually no pain whatsoever.

In addition, I am reconsidering my job this year. It just isn't working out - I snapped at work yesterday and I'm sick and tired of fighting the Egyptian way of doing business. Just because other people have to deal with it doesn't mean that I have to also. I work because I love to work and I'm dedicated to what I do - but I need to decide when it's time to stop being a pushover and doormat and get some brass balls to say "no." I should have listened to Hassan in February when he told me not to return to work. He was right.

So I called in sick today - my mouth is swollen and throbbing and in pain from the stress of school and we're still a week away from students arriving. Oh well.

Ma'salaam,

~Marian

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marian,
I am sorry to hear that the school year started out so badly. I hope your tooth feels better. Today is the first day of school here - Frances is a Senior and Andrew is a Junior!
Tom

Marian said...

Wow! Frances a Senior and Andrew a Junior. Where did the years go? Unbelievable. Mira has the photo of Frances standing next to me on my wedding day and she can't believe it's Frances. Love.

Simply Eva said...

Do you think maybe the frustrations with school have something to do with the tooth pain? Maybe wait it out until your mouth heals before you make that decision? I know it is frustrating--especially in Egypt--but maybe it just seems worse because you werent feeling well? Anyway, wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

Marian -
Hope you feel better soon and do what makes you happiest regarding your job. Write me please.....
Val

Nora said...

Marian,
Ouch! I hope your teeth are better. That pain is definitely unbearable... it is good that you got it fixed.
Good luck with the work decision. It is a tough decision, but do whatever makes you happiest.