Monday, July 25, 2005

The Whirling Dervish














The whirling dervish twirls around onstage with two several skirts on around his waist. Then he lifts the one skirt up over his head - (first photo) and spins for several minutes as though he's in a trance. Then he takes off the first skirt, and twirls in just the second skirt until he takes that off too and walks around the room with the skirt over his head. This has always been a personal fascination of mine even before I met Hassan. I had no idea whirling dervishes were Egyptian in origin, courtesy of Turkey and Greece. The colors are magnificent and the embroidery unimaginable (to those of us who admire embroidery). Egypt can keep the belly dancers, just give me a whirling dervish anyday!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Marian :)

I LOVE the photos!! Very cool!! I have always wanted to see them too!!

Hey, I might be in Cairo this week, wanna hook up? ;) I will give you a call ASAP with all the details...

Love and hugs,
Layla

Marian said...

Thanks for the comment! I hope to see you. Marian

Anonymous said...

Marian,
Cool photos! Very colorful and you can feel the motion. It's a once in a lifetime experience!
Hugs to all, Maggie's Mom

Marian said...

Maggie's Mom,

Yes, the colors are magnificent and the fabric is from a velvet-type of material - must be very heavy. Love, Marian

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »