Thursday, October 08, 2009

Rumors and Hearsay About Swine Flu

When I first moved to Egypt, I relied on information that was factual, not rumor or hearsay.  I have to admit that over the years I have become one who relies upon hearsay and rumors.  There have been many rumors swirling around Cairo with regards to the swine flu and how it will hit Egypt, when it will hit, when schools will be closed and for how long.

Mira came to me at the end of the day today and told me that the swine flu is at an American school in Cairo. I didn't believe her because I was sure that one of my colleagues would have told me. Interestingly enough, Mira was right.

Because of the dense population in Egypt, there can be as many as 50 students in one classroom, especially in the government schools.  However, the swine flu has hit Egypt in the private schools, a foreign school in Alexandria, at the AUC, and now at Rajac American School, a private school on the outskirts of Cairo.

The Ministry of Education announced that if there are three or more cases of swine flu at school, the school will be closed for one month. There is tremendous hysteria in regards to the swine flu in Egypt.  While some of the madness makes me crazy, I am relieved that people are more aware of their health and cleanliness.

From what I understand there will be 20,000 vaccines available at first, in Egypt.  I hope those whom I know who are at risk are among those first to receive it.

Ma'salaam,
~Marian


No comments: